Interpersonal Communication

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lesson 6, Feb 12 2009

The self is the individual person, from his or her own perspective. To you, self is you. To someone else, self is that person.(Taken from Wikipedia,The Free Encyclopedia)
In my interpretation,the above means I am myself(I am starting to be afraid that this is going to turn into one episode of soul searching).
The Essence of oneself are body,brain(mind/intelligence),character,experience,gender,human,human condition,identity,person,personality,skill,virtue,and wisdom.(Taken from wikipedia,The Free Encyclopedia)
I feel comforted knowing that even if i had a look-alike going about her daily business now somewhere at the opposite end of the world,based on the above description I know that I am myself based on my own thoughts,personality,my own life experiences,character and the way I carry myself and interact with the people around me.
Self-Constructs(just a few)
Self-Concept/self-identity-It is the knowledge about one self,such as beliefs regarding personality traits,physical characterictics,abilities,values,goals and roles.
According to self-costruct I would define myself as a female(duh!) with curly hair,reasonably big eyes hidden behind a pair of glasses(the glasses are a sham to make me look intelligent,occasionally,I do wear contacts,when I am not lazy),I do wish I had a sharp pointed nose instead of a round,not so sharp one(but come to think about it,I would look like Michael Jackson if I had a pointed nose,no pun intended here).I am quite a happy person but I do have quite a formidable temper which I regularly try to quash,sometimes to no avail. One of my goals in life is to go as far as I can,especially in my education. I am a fairly open-minded person but I do draw lines when my morality is at stake. I live my life based on these commandments:Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strenght and Lord your neighbor as yourself.
Self-awareness-one exists as an individual, separate from other people, with private thoughts. It is a self-conscious state in which attention focuses on oneself. It makes people more sensitive to their own attitudes and dispositions.
I am an individual with different needs and my response may vary when compared to others.For example,I am aware of my blatant phobia towards messes,dirt or a room being in disarray while my brother seems to find joy in living in something that closely resembles a war zone.
Self-esteem-a person's overall evaluation or appraisal of his or her own worth.
This is a constant struggle in my life,I am gradually learning to love myself.I am not only learning to take pride in what I do well but also to see myself as a wholesome being,as God's creation.




2 comments:

  1. bernice,i love to read ur posts!all oso nice:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo.thxs=D.pls may i now who is this?
    hopefuuly I am doing my work the rite way.lol

    ReplyDelete