Interpersonal Communication

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blistered in Little India

No excuses. Yes, I know.

Personally, I'd say that going to Thaipusam or Cap Goh Meh is one hellavu interesting thing but the only problem is how to get there without overheating and dying in your car for being stuck in the traffic jam for four hours. So, I'd be honest and say that I went all the way there but didn't make it to the parade. I overheated. I had a migraine.


(What can I say? I can't crawl on my lips to the coconuts, no? I was just being realistic.)

Nay, I went to Thaipusam in spirit.

I think I'll just discern what Thaipusam means in my own words and what I think it actually symbolizes. Here's the story:

Once upon a time, in a faraway land there lived the Devas (good people) and the Asuras (bad people) and they are waging an infernal war between themselves. Because the Devas were so tired of the Asuras attacking them without mercy, they begged for Lord Shiva to help them and as what Gods would do to hapless folks, he agreed to help them. Lord Shiva opened up his forehead and out came Lord Murugan who wields the Nyanya Vel (golden spear). Lord M fought the meanest and cruelest Asuras, Soorapadme and a fierce battle ensued. He won, as expected or we will not be celebrating Thaipusam.

An Indian culture. Very like my own yet so foreign.


No comments:

Post a Comment